Club Only Competitions
We hold various competitions throughout the year to celebrate the diversity and talent of all of the great brewers in our club. Throughout the year we will hold style specific competitions that will be judged by a panel of non participating members and guest judges.
JBG Brewer of the Year Rules:
- Top 3 places will receive points: 5 points for 1st place, 4 points for 2nd place, and 3 points for 3rd place
- Every other entry will receive one point for entering
- Brewer/Collaboration w/the most points at the end of the year is Brewer of the Year
- For collaboration brewers to receive points, the brewers involved must be a part of at least two of the following brewing activities:
- Recipe Design
- Active participation during brew day
- Pay for ingredients
- Assist with fermentation
- Assist with bottling/kegging
- All collaboration brewers will receive the placement points
- In the event of a year-end tie the cumulative judge's points obtained throughout the competitions will be used to break the tie
- Only ONE entry per brewer per competition, including collaboration brews.
- Prizes will be awarded to the winner of each competition and brewer of the year!
- Drop-off entries will be accepted, please arrange date and time with a board member
- Failure to follow the competition guidelines will result in NO points awarded!
SRM 10-20 Competition
Brew an Amber, Red, Browns of any style. Due March 28th
- Joe - Irish Red Ale
- Louise - Oatmeal Raison British Brown
- David - Irish Red
March-Charlie Orr/Drunk Monk
We will be awarding Brew of the Year points to any member who medals in one of these outside competitions. Brewers will receive 3 points for a gold, 2 points for a silver, and 1 point for a bronze. A maximum of 10 points is available per brewer for these competitions.
Charlie Orr Winners
- Joe Froehlich - Imperial Stout (1 Points)
May - German Beer
All German styles, due June 6th
German Beer Winners
July - Wheat Competition
Brew up any kind of beer with 50% of base malt being wheat. Due August 8th.
Wheat Beer Winners
Coffee and Tea Challenge!
Any style adjunct with coffee or tea, due Oct 10th.
Coffee and Tea Challenge Winners
December - Big and Dark
The myth... The legend... The mother of all JBG competitions! Brew any style you want as long as it's big (8.5 ABV or higher) and dark (30 SRM or higher)! This competition is where legends are made, so get brewing early. Due Dec 5th.
Big and Dark Winners
2019 Brewer of the Year Standings
- Michael Davidson - 10 points
- Kyle Vester - 8 points
- Mark Lekovish - 5 points
Previous Brewers of the Year
- 2018 - Doug Walling
- 2017 - Joel Rakoski
- 2016 - Joel Rakoski
- 2015 - Jason Janes
- 2014 - Jason Janes